Wednesday, October 13, 2010

living as a Muslim

one day, on my 1st week, there was a pharmacology lecture, and they provided lunch, i didn't remember i was at UK, so I should be more sensitive when it comes to food. there were also a few Muslims attended to the talk (which is I found out they are Muslim, in the following week).
they provided Chinese food where they ordered from Chinese Food stall, one of the staff said to me, "Wanie, this one is for vegetarian". i was like, "So, what, I'm not vege" I'm SO STUPID or maybe a bit SLOW PICK UP, she mentioned Vege because she know I'm a Muslim so I cant eat non Halal. but then, one guy said "Is this PORK?" while pointed his finger to one of the dishes. they I REALIZED, "Oh God. I already put some of the meals onto my plate, then I slowly silently put them back onto where i took them, and I asked few people, are this Chicken or Pork (one of the dishes on my plate) , then they said, its Chicken. i said, "Are you sure?". he replied, "I think so.". ok. she's no sure. but it was a shame because i cannot put them back on to where i took, so, basically i just let it be onto my plate, so i just ate rice and vegetables.
i ate my rice and vegetables with suspicious and so worried, but then i realized, if they use the same utensils (Periuk, pisau, etc) to cook Pork, but then use them to cook vegetarian food, it's still not Halal right?
(T.T) too late..
I ate all of them (rice and vegetables) already until i realized that..

when I asked one guy here, "Are these Pork?" and he said "I dont know" then he asked,
"Why?" "You cannot eat Pork?"
and i said
"No I Cant. Definitely NOT"
I mean.. sorry..
what???
you are obviously see me wearing tudung (hijab) but then you asking me such that question?
and he even asked Tay, my chinese friend,
"is Wanie is a Muslim?"

HELLO..
if I'm not a Muslim, why am I wearing this Tudung? what a silly question?
anyway, kak Ida said, people here not necessarily a Muslim if they are wearing Tudung.
sometimes they wear that for a Fashion purpose.

One guy ask my friend, what religious she belongs to. then she said, she's a Buddhist. but not really pure.
he asked, i it like Half-half? 50%?
she said, yea, 50%.

and then he asked me,
how bout you Wanie?
i said, "I'm a Muslim"
(what else do you think?)
how many percentage?
i said,
"Definitely 100%!"
oh God, this is really can be tiring.

and he asked, so if you are a 100% Muslim, means that, you do all that Fasting?
i said,
"Yeah! I do all the fasting. (except that if i'm period)
and he asked me, "Why?"
because it's a MUST.
It's one of the Rukun Islam.
and then, I explained to him all the Rukun Islam (bagi ceramah pulak kat dia...)

the thing is, Muslim people here are very different from Malaysia..
most of them, they dont go Fasting for the whole month because they day time periods here are more longer than the night time. they go for Sahur at 4am, Buka Puasa at 9pm. so, most of them if they cant afford to make it, they wont fast, and 'ganti' or pay back during winter time where the day time more shorter which is Sahur at 5, buka puasa at 4pm. sometimes, they dont bother to replace it. i dont know.

waktu solat here are quite confusing, this Autumn/ winter seasons, subuh will be at 5am, zohor at 12noon, asar at 2pm, maghrib at 4pm, isya at 5pm. and i dont know if i can manage my time properly since my posting at here are mostly going for Home Visit, meeting, and they dont have specific break time like 'lunch hour' we had at malaysia, so I'm so depressed to think of how am i going to manage my prayer time. I'm so SAD. i have 5 weeks more to go. and I'm so LOW.
I JUST NEED SOMEBODY TO TELL ME WHAT TO DO.
I'M LOST.
(T.T)


2 comments:

shapsha_88 said...

hi,,i like your post bout muslim in UK,is it true,,?its so different in Mlaysia,right?,,anywy,,i pray that u will find the way,,keep remember Allah,He will open the way 4 u>>:)

shapsha_88 said...

hi,,i like your post bout muslim in UK,is it true,,?its so different in Mlaysia,right?,,anywy,,i pray that u will find the way,,keep remember Allah,He will open the way 4 u>>:)